Boston University College of Communication, M.S. Print Journalism, Boston, MA, Sept. '04-Jan. '06
- Work: Teaching Assistant for introductory freshman communications course; teaching assistant for professor Mitchell Zuckoff; COM Writing Center Fellow-paid editor; Graduate Student President.
- GPA: 3.84
Princeton University, B.A. Politics, Princeton, NJ, Sept. '99-June '03
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, July-Dec. 2001
Deputy editor, Time Out Singapore, Ink Publishing, Singapore, Dec. 2007 - Dec. 2008
- Plan, assign, write and edit content for 100-page monthly arts/entertainment/culture listings magazine; manage a full-time local team of 8 and 15-20 freelancers; liaise with sales and marketing teams. Time Out Singapore is one of 26 international editions of Time Out magazine, which first launched in London 40 years ago.
Copy editor/page editor/reporter, Metro US, New York, NY, Aug. 2006 - Sept. 2007
- Copy-edit New York, Boston and Philadelphia papers daily in AP style; edit content of Editorial/Voices and Travel pages. Write stories for news, sports and entertainment.
Freelance writer, Time Out New York, Metro International, Fah Thai, Sarika Jan. 2007 - present
Reporter, Boston Metro, Boston, MA, Jan. - July 2006
- Wrote 2-3 stories/day as a local news reporter, covering Boston (general assignment) and the Massachusetts Legislature; also wrote occasional features for the entertainment section.
- Intern/freelance from May to Dec. 2005. Duties included writing, reporting and copy-editing.
Correspondent, The Boston Globe, Oct. 2005
- Co-wrote/reported a 2000-wd. investigative piece, "System to stem police perjury not implemented," published on B1, City/Region section, Oct. 24, 2005.
Statehouse correspondent, The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA, Sept.-Dec. 2005
- Covered Massachusetts State Legislature through the Boston University Statehouse Program. Wrote for news, business sections and front page.
Features intern, The Star-Ledger, Newark, NJ, June-Aug. 2004
- Reported and wrote 1-2 news features per week, including enterprise articles, travel and entertainment.
- Assistant copy editor for all features sections.
Secretary, Princeton Alumni Class Officer, June 2003-present
- Write regular columns for Princeton Alumni Weekly, class newsletters and directory; class liaison.
Part-time sports reporter, Asbury Park Press, Asbury Park, NJ, March-May 2004
Best Online Article: - Time Out International 2008, for TimeOutSingapore.com: "Tippling over," an Irish pub crawl in Singapore.
Second Place: - Society of Professional Journalists' 2006 National Mark of Excellence Award for In-Depth Reporting ("System to stem police perjury not implemented," The Boston Globe, Oct. 24, 2005).
Third Place: - AEJMC Student Magazine Contest 2006, Investigation and Analysis, for Boston Globe Magazine's "A Question of Perjury."
Computer: Experienced with office applications (Microsoft, Mac and Google Documents); publishing software (Adobe Photoshop, QuarkXPress, InDesign, etc.); and online research tools (i.e. LexisNexis).
Language: Working knowledge of Spanish and French.
Playing soccer, running, rock climbing, traveling, reading, beer-brewing, movie-going.